Some news from Italy for your Sunday reading pleasure:
- Thanks in part to the influence of partying tourists, young people in Italy are drinking more than they used to – and now Italy is trying to deal with an ever-growing number of young Italians with drinking problems.
- After Rome’s Mayor famously had his own suitcase lost at Rome’s Fiumicino Airport last week, he put his foot down and now the Italian Aviation Authority says they’re going to be investigating Alitala for their abysmal luggage loss record. I like that they say they’re going to investigate, and I like that the Mayor’s mad, but I’m still not sure anything’s going to come of it.
- CiaoBambino is running a great giveaway for a week’s stay in a rental villa in Tuscany – this is a $10,000 value, so it’s definitely worth entering.
- Although it makes me sad to think of my beloved Venice underwater, this interactive map of the flooding in the canal city is really cool to look at.
- Lest you think all beauty contests in Italy were about youth, I bring you news of a pageant for Italians grandmothers.
- Just because city-dwellers in Italy don’t have access to (or time to deal with) their own vegetable gardens doesn’t mean they can’t have access to their own home-grown veggies. With a new service called “Le Verdure del Mio Orto” (The Vegetables of My Garden) Italians in a couple of regions can now design their own vegetable plot online and reap the benefits of someone else’s gardening labor (not to mention prowess).
- Are you planning a destination wedding in Italy? There’s a wedding photographer in Chicago who’d like to photograph it. She’s running a contest – you get lots of wedding photography goodies, and all you do is pay for her travel expenses. Learn more about it from Go Galavanting (contest ends September 30, 2009).
- The Pope has declared he’s on the side of the Catholic Church in a dispute PM Silvio Berlusconi is having with the church. Shocking, I know.
- Italy Agricultural Minister (who shall now be known in my world as The Idiot) says he doesn’t think someone who has a couple glasses of wine should be considered drunk, and that it’s okay to drink a little and still drive.
- Venice may be car-free, but it’s not traffic-free – and the traffic is starting to annoy the locals.
- For those folks who just can’t wait for Milan’s erotic festival, Mi-Sex, to open later this month, Bergamo Sex offers its own erotic festival at the beginning of September.
- There’s a film crew in Rome right now for that segment of the “Eat, Pray, Love” movie starring Julia Roberts.
- If the idea of an Italian supermarket giving away jobs as the top prizes in a raffle aren’t a major sign the economy’s in shambles, I dunno what is.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES