- Finding Home-Cooked Food in Italy I wrote another article about Home Food – this time for The Daily Meal – and in this one, I included step-by-step instructions for signing up at the end of the article.
- Piattini: 12 Small Plate Italian Menu Ideas Looking for a way to bring a bit of Italian food into your next dinner party? Consider making a meal out of these small-plate options. Taken individually, each is a good idea for an appetizer. Taken together, they’re more than a complete meal.
- Migrants clash with police in Lampedusa Immigrants held at the detention center on Lampedusa, an island off Italy’s southern coast, have been protesting living conditions – and (as the title says) clashing with riot police. It appears that the protests began peacefully, but things have deteriorated.
Episode 53: Cinque Terre & Liguria Tips with Megan McCaffrey-Guerrera The Eye on Italy podcast is back from its summer break! For our “rientro” episode, we talked about Liguria & the Cinque Terre with Megan McCaffrey-Guerrera, who has lived in the area for years.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Schiacciata con l’uva: Recipe This recipe for Etruscan grape bread sounds fantastic – I’ve never had it, but it’s an ancient recipe, and now that we’re heading into the fall (and the grape harvest at wineries!) it might be a great time to give it a try.
- Italy PM asked to quit over new sex scandal Berlusconi is no stranger to sex scandals (or any scandals, really), but when an ally even says that after the latest one he “feared the prime minister would not see his term through” – well, it’s interesting, at least.
- Italy debt rating downgraded by S&P A little more than a month after S&P made headlines for downgrading the U.S. credit rating, the agency has downgraded Italy’s credit rating, too. Italy’s debt used to be rated “A+/A-1+” and now S&P says it’s rated “A/A-1.” And no, I don’t totally understand what that means, either, other than it’s yet another sign that the world is paying attention to Italy’s flagging economy.
- Italy criticizes S&P downgrade as political Not surprisingly, Silvio Berlusconi has lashed out at S&P following the downgrade, calling it “political” and saying it wasn’t based in reality. Even though I don’t fully understand the whole credit rating deal, I think it’s our dear Silvio who isn’t based in reality right now.
- How to keep it cheap in Napoli I don’t agree with this author that there aren’t any “must-see” attractions in Naples worth mentioning (and yes, I left a comment on the post!), but I do agree that Naples is an awesome city for anyone who wants to visit Italy on a budget. Just the fact that you can get the best pizza you’ll ever have in your life for a few euro is enough to make me swoon…
- Naples Agrees to Host Two Stops on America’s Cup World Series The press release says that Naples “has agreed in principle” to host the American’s Cup World Series for two different stops – one in April 2012 and the other in May 2013. I’m not sure what “in principle” means in this case, & it’s a long way off yet, but that could be a fun sight off the coast of Napoli. (via @NapoliUnplugged on Twitter)