There are lots of ways to get to Italy, and one popular method is by taking a Mediterranean cruise. Italy has several major cruise ports (and plenty more minor ones), some of which are very close to the big tourist attractions while others require a transfer to reach.
Of course, cruise companies offer tour options for every port of call so that you don’t have to research all that stuff yourself. The downside is that these tours are often more expensive than if you booked something on your own – but most people still book through the cruise ships for the simple reason that they guarantee you’ll be back at the ship in time before it sets off for the next port. If you go out on your own and the bus breaks down, you’d pay for your own transportation to catch up with the ship.
Well, not anymore.
WhyGo Italy partner Viator now not only offers shore excursions in Italy (and throughout the rest of the world), they guarantee they’ll have you back to your ship in time for departure or they’ll pay all the costs of getting you to the next port to get back to your ship. That wouldn’t be enough to pull you away from just booking your day trips through the cruise company, but the discounts available on the shore excursions should be. Viator says their shore excursions will be up to 60% cheaper than those offered through the cruise companies, and that adds up quickly if you’re doing multiple tours. Additionally, if you book your shore excursion through Viator and find a lower price later, you’ll get a refund for the difference.
This link will bring you straight to all the Italy shore excursions available on the Viator site, or you can click on the pretty blue button to the right. All you need to do is browse through the options (you can narrow the search down further by choosing a specific city with the “Select a region/city” drop down menu to the left), click on the name of a tour that looks interesting, and book it right on the site.
(Screenshots of the tour booking pages are below, with arrows on them to show you what you’re looking for.)
You’ll find Rome one-day tours from Civitavecchia, a tour of the Amalfi Coast or Pompeii from Naples, a trip to Pisa and Florence or wine tasting in Chianti from Livorno, a half-day private walking tour of Venice, and more.
Here are a few of the tours available:
- Naples Shore Excursion Private Tour: Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello – from $56.21
- Naples Shore Excursion: Naples City and Pompeii Half Day Sightseeing Tour – from $91.56
- Livorno Shore Excursion: Pisa and Florence Private Day Trip – from $107.26
- Livorno Shore Excursion: Chianti and Tuscany Countryside Private Wine Tour – from $133.42
- Venice Shore Excursion: Small-Group Best of Venice Walking Tour and Grand Canal Taxi Ride – from $120.34
- Civitavecchia Shore Excursion: Rome in One Day Private Tour – from $341.19
Other articles you might find useful:
- Rome Cruise Terminal: Where It Is & How to Get There
- Venice Cruise Terminal: Where It Is & How to Get There
photo by liberalmind1012