One of the biggest stories in the Italian news lately is that of a reporter for La Repubblica, Daniele Mastrogiacomo, who is missing in Afghanistan. Here’s a round-up of how the story has progressed:
- March 8 – After Mastrogiacomo disappeared and was feared kidnapped by the Taliban, Italy waited for news.
- March 8 – Then the country wanted proof that he was still alive and well before they started negotiating.
- March 9 – The Taliban said Mastrogiacomo would be freed if Italian troops were pulled out of Afghanistan.
- March 9 – Appeals for Mastrogiacomo’s release are coming from all quarters, including Italian footballers.
- March 12 – The Italian Foreign Minister has confirmed that Mastrogiacomo is alive and his captors have been identified.
As the country awaits further news, we all hope for the best.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Photo by: Enrico Maria Porro