One of the biggest stories in the Italian news lately is that of a reporter for La Repubblica, Daniele Mastrogiacomo, who is missing in Afghanistan. Here’s a round-up of how the story has progressed:
- March 8 – After Mastrogiacomo disappeared and was feared kidnapped by the Taliban, Italy waited for news.
- March 8 – Then the country wanted proof that he was still alive and well before they started negotiating.
- March 9 – The Taliban said Mastrogiacomo would be freed if Italian troops were pulled out of Afghanistan.
- March 9 – Appeals for Mastrogiacomo’s release are coming from all quarters, including Italian footballers.
- March 12 – The Italian Foreign Minister has confirmed that Mastrogiacomo is alive and his captors have been identified.
As the country awaits further news, we all hope for the best.
Photo by: Enrico Maria Porro