Prepping for an Italy Trip with Eye on Italy Episodes
There just aren’t enough hours in the day for reading, it seems, so for those of you who prefer your information brought to you in an auditory way, it’s a good thing there are so many podcasts out there to listen to.
You may already be familiar with the Italy podcast I co-host – Eye on Italy – but if you’re not, I wanted to highlight a few of the episodes we’ve posted over the last year or so that might be useful to those of you planning an Italy trip this year.
I’ve broken them down into a few categories, and this is by no means a complete library of the podcasts – but it should give you a good start.
- Food writer David Lebovitz talked about his love of Italian gelato, including a few places that featured in his gelato walking tour in Rome in 2010.
- Katie Parla’s not shy about her love of offal, but she also took time in this episode to talk about cool sights in underground Rome.
- Christine Cantera loves rooftop bars, and she dished on several of her favorites in Rome.
- When in Rome, Carol Coviello-Malzone says, eat like the Romans do.
- Elizabeth Minchilli’s the force behind the fabulous new iPhone app, Eat Rome, and in this episode she talked about some of what she included in the app.
Tuscany & Florence Episodes
- Leif Pettersen told us about several places in southern Tuscany that may not exactly be undiscovered, but they’re sure a lot less crowded than Florence and Siena.
- There’s plenty of art in Florence, but Alexandra Korey helped us zero on in some of the things we might otherwise miss – and she shared a few other Tuscany gems outside Florence, too.
- James Martin gave us some hints on the foods to look for in Tuscany, and the lowdown on “cucina povera.”
- Context Travel docent Monica Vidoni took us on a fascinating walk through Casanova’s Venice.
- Longtime Venice resident Nan McElroy had us intrigued by the traditional style of Venetian rowing.
Other Handy Italy Episodes
- Want to explore a Tuscany-like region that’s far less busy than Tuscany itself? Get up to speed on Umbria with Alex Leviton.
- Hoping to trace the path of one of Italy’s most famous artists? Learn about Michelangelo’s Italy with Gene Openshaw.
- Curious about Italian food? Find out how it conquered the world with John Mariani and learn about what vegetarians in Italy eat with Rebecca Winke and Michelle Schoenung.
- Inspired by an Italy trip to seek out your Italian relatives? Get the ins and outs of Italian genealogy with Peter Farina.
- Heading further south? Explore Calabria with Cherrye Moore and Calabrian cuisine with Rosetta Costantino.
>> Like what you hear? You can subscribe to Eye on Italy via iTunes and you’ll never miss an episode.
photo by TerryJohnston