Getting To & From Malpensa Airport by Bus
While I’m a fan of the Malpensa Express train that connects the airport with two different train stations in Milan, the train doesn’t run at all hours. This is especially problematic if you’re catching an early flight out, before the trains are running. The good news is you don’t have to pay for an expensive taxi. The bad news is you still have to get up at an ungodly hour (sorry, I can’t do anything about that part).
There are lots of bus/coach options to get you to and from Malpensa, both from the city of Milan as well as neighboring cities and regions. Here’s a rundown of how to get to or from Malpensa Airport by bus. Company names are at the top of each section, with information about the destinations they serve, ticket prices, trip duration, and contact details underneath.
More handy information for flying to/from Malpensa Airport in Milan:
- General tips on how to get from Malpensa into Milan, or vice versa
- Some hotels near Milan Malpensa Airport, for those with a really early flight
>> Note that this information is correct as of this writing, but it can (and does) change – so be sure to consult the individual bus company websites or call them for the most current information about schedules and ticket prices.
- Destinations served: Milan (Stazione Centrale), Fiera Milano (on request), Linate Airport, Malpensa Airport
- Ticket price: €7.50 one-way/€12 round-trip for Milan, €13 one-way for Linate. You can buy tickets right on board the bus, online, or from certain vendors/machines at Malpensa, Linate, and Stazione Centrale.
- Timetable: The journey between Milan-Malpensa is roughly 50 minutes, with departures about every 20 minutes during most of the day. Buses run from Malpensa from 05:00-01:20, and from Stazione Centrale from 03:45-00:30.
- Contact information: +39.02.33910794, Malpensa Shuttle website
- Destinations served: Orio al Serio Airport, Bergamo, Malpensa Airport, Milan (Stazione Centrale), Fiera Milano
- Ticket price: €18 one-way/€30 round-trip for Bergamo-Malpensa, €10 one-way for Orio al Serio-Milan. You can buy tickets right on board the bus, online, or from certain vendors/machines at Malpensa and Orio al Serio.
- Timetable: The journey between Bergamo and Malpensa is roughly 1 hour 40 minutes, with departures about every three hours during most of the day (less frequently on weekends). Buses run from Bergamo from 04:00-18:30, and from Malpensa from 09:15-22:15.
- Contact information: +39.035.330706, Orio Shuttle website
- Destinations served: Malpensa Airport, Linate Airport, Orio al Serio Airport, Brescia, Milan, Turin, Pavia
- Ticket price: €7.50 one-way/€12 round-trip for Milan-Malpensa, €9.90 one-way/€15 round-trip for Orio al Serio-Milan, €20 one-way for Turin-Malpensa. You can buy tickets right on board the bus.
- Timetable: The journey between Milan and Malpensa is roughly 50 minutes, with departures about every 20 minutes during most of the day. Buses run from Malpensa from 06:00-00:40, and from Milan from 04:00-23:00.
- Contact information: Autostradale website
- Destinations served: Malpensa Airport, Orio al Serio Airport, Linate Airport, Brescia
- Ticket price: €45 for Brescia-Malpensa, €35 for Brescia-Linate, €25 one-way for Brescia-Orio al Serio. You must reserve tickets two days before departure, via phone or email.
- Timetable: There are three trips per day, Monday-Saturday (except holidays). Buses run from Brescia-Malpena from 05:00-13:30, and from Malpensa-Brescia from 07:15-15:30.
- Contact information: +39.030.2582388, Airshuttle Nord website
- Destinations served: Malpensa Airport, Turin
- Ticket price: €20 one-way. Tickets must be purchased in advance, either online or from Autostradale or Sadem vendors.
- Timetable: The trip is roughly two hours, and buses depart from Turin’s Autostazione Comunale from 03:00-19:30. Buses depart from Malpensa from 08:30-00:00.
- Contact information: Sadem website
Malpensa Express Ticino
- Destinations served: Malpensa Airport, Bellinzona (Switzerland), Lugano (Switzerland), Mendrisio (Switzerland), Chiasso (Switzerland)
- Ticket price: 40CHF one-way/65CHF round-trip for Bellinzona-Malpensa, 35CHF one-way/60CHF round-trip for Lugano-Malpensa, 30CHF one-way/55CHF round-trip for Chiasso/Mendrisio-Malpensa. You can also pay in euro, with exact change only. You can buy tickets online, via fax, or buy tickets on board the bus.
- Timetable: The Bellinzona-Malpensa trip is roughly 1 hour 45 minutes, and buses depart from Bellinzona from 03:30-22:40. Buses depart from Malpensa from 05:35-00:35.
- Contact information: +41.91.858.23.26, Malpensa Express Ticino website
- Destinations served: Malpensa Airport, Genoa, Alessandria, Casale
- Ticket price: €25 for Genoa-Malpensa, €17 for Alessandria-Malpensa, €15 for Casale-Malpensa. There’s a €3 additional charge if you buy your ticket when you board the bus. Otherwise, you can buy tickets online or at various vendors in Genoa, Alessnadria, and Casale (among other places).
- Timetable: The Genoa-Malpensa trip is roughly three hours, and for most of the year, buses depart from Genoa twice a day, at 06:00 and 15:45. Buses depart from Malpensa twice a day, at 12:35 and 20:05.
- Contact information: +39.010.561661, Volpi website
>> You’ll find more details and even more bus/coach options serving different cities on the transportation section of the Malpensa Airport website.
photo by darkensiva