Italy Travel Tips
In some ways, you could rightfully consider this entire website a collection of Italy travel tips – and if you spend some time clicking around, I think you’ll see why. But even though the search box at the top of the page works well and there are navigation menus at the top and the side of each page, sometimes it’s hard to find what you’re looking for on a site that’s been around for a few years and has hundreds of entries. I understand that, and I’d like to make it as easy as possible for you to find what you need here on WhyGo Italy.
So, here’s a page with some of what I think are the most useful Italy travel tips on the site, broken down by subject. If you think something is missing from this page, please send me a note to let me know. It’s possible I either forgot to include it here, or it’s something I need to add to my list of topics to cover. In either case, I’d love to hear from you – it helps make the site better for everyone.
>> Also be sure to check out my First-Time Visitor’s Guide to Italy, which is chock full of Italy travel tips, too.
Travel Tips for Italy
Destination-Specific Travel Tips in Italy
While some Italy travel tips are good for the whole country, some are better done at a smaller level. So I’ve written several travel guides for Italy’s top destinations, and they contain valuable travel tips.
- Italy Regions – Learn a bit about all of Italy’s 20 regions (plus the two independent city-states within Italy’s borders) to help you plan your trip.
- Rome – There’s an overall Rome travel guide, a list of the top things to do in Rome, things you should know about Rome, free things to do in Rome, a guide to Rome’s public transportation, a list of transport options for the trip between Rome and Fiumicino airport, some tips to survive Rome, and even some tips for traveling to Rome with kids.
- Venice – There’s an overall Venice travel guide, 5 Venice survival tips, things you should know about Venice, a list of the top things to do in Venice, a guide to public transportation in Venice, suggestions on places to eat in Venice, some money-saving discount cards for Venice, a list of free things to do in Venice, and a guide to gondola rides.
- Florence – There’s an overall Florence travel guide, a list of the top things to do in Florence, a guide to leather shopping in Florence, some of the free things to do in Florence, and lots of reviews of Florence hostels.
- Cinque Terre – There’s an overall Cinque Terre travel guide, and a guide to hiking in the Cinque Terre.
- Milan – There’s an overall Milan travel guide, a list of the top things to do in Milan, your transportation options for the trip between Malpensa Airport and Milan, and instructions on how to use the Milan Metro.
- Pisa – There’s an overall Pisa travel guide, a guide to the leaning tower of Pisa, instructions for buying tickets in advance to the leaning tower of Pisa, and a list of what to do in Pisa.
- Naples – There’s an overall Naples travel guide, a list of the top things to do in Naples, information about some of the weird attractions in Naples, and my tips for how to fall in love with Naples.
Budget Travel Tips for Italy
Italy is notoriously expensive to visit, but it’s not just for rich travelers. Here are some articles to help you figure out a budget for your trip and also some good ways to cut the costs of an Italy trip.
- Making a Budget for Italy Travel
- How to Visit Italy on a Budget
- Budget Airlines that Fly to Italy
- How to Save up to 30% on Italy Train Tickets
- Free Things to Do in Italy
Travel Tips for the Weather in Italy
You can’t control the weather, but the weather can definitely influence how you travel. I’ve written about what the weather is like in Italy throughout the year (although you should always check current forecasts to see if there’s some unusually warm or cool weather going on), in addition to providing some tips about what to wear in Italy.
- Italy Weather (including links to information about Italy weather in each month)
- What to Wear in Italy
- What to Wear in the Summer in Italy
- What to Wear in the Winter in Italy
Travel Tips for Transportation in Italy
There are lots of ways to get around Italy, whether it’s from town to town or from one place to another within one city. I’ve written lots of articles about transport in Italy, many of which are listed here.
- Guide to Transportation in Italy
- Cheap Airfare to Italy
- Cheap Airfare to Rome
- Cheap Airfare to Milan
- Cheap Airfare to Venice
- Guide to Italian Trains
- When to Buy an Italy RailPass
- Guide to Italian Buses
- How to Drive in Italy
- Getting Around in Venice
- Getting Around in Rome
- Using the Milan Metro
- Car Rentals in Italy
Sightseeing Travel Tips for Italy
There is no guidebook or even website that could cover every single thing there is to do and see in Italy – but the truth is that many people come to the country with the same things on their to-do lists. So I’ve tried to cover most of those on this site over the years. I’ve still got more to write about, but here are some travel tips for Italy’s biggest tourist attractions.
- Things to Do in Italy
- 20 Things Everyone Should Do in Italy
- Free Things to Do in Italy
- Perfect 2-Week Itinerary in Italy
- Guide to Italy’s Festivals
- Travel Guide to the Colosseum in Rome
- Travel Guide to Pompeii
- Travel Guide to the Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Travel Guide to the Vatican Museums
- Travel Guide to the Last Supper in Milan
- Travel Guide to the Uffizi Gallery in Florence
Travel Tips for Italy Accommodation
There are some things that should need very little explanation when it comes to your accommodation options in Italy. You will, for instance, already know what hotels and hostels are, most likely. But there might be some things about accommodation in Italy that you didn’t know – and I hope I’ve covered those things in these articles.
- Guide to Italy Accommodation
- Accommodation Options in Italy (with information about what each kind of lodging means)
- Hotels in Italy
- Hostels in Italy
- Guide to Agriturismo in Italy
- Guide to Monasteries and Convents in Italy
- Guide to Camping in Italy
- Guide to Vacation Rentals in Italy
- Guide to Villas in Italy
Travel Tips for Dining in Italy
The food is one of the things I’m most passionate about when it comes to Italy, so I end up writing about it often.
- Italian Food Guide
- Italy Menu Tips
- Tipping in Italy
- Types of Restaurants in Italy
- Guide to Italian Markets
- Guide to Italian Gelato
- Guide to Italian Coffee
- Guide to Italian Pasta
- Italian Cooking Schools
Language Tips for Travel in Italy
You don’t need to speak Italian fluently to have a successful vacation in Italy, but it doesn’t hurt to learn a few words – especially the polite ones – before you leave. This is even more important if you’re traveling outside the main touristy areas.
- Italian Language Guide
- Why You Should Not Say “Ciao” to Everyone
- Italian Travel Phrasebook
- Learning Italian Through Music
photo by rachaelvoorhees